TEXT: LUKE 12:49-53
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO IS NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE. IT IS ABOUT WHO YOU HAVE
A. Place your focus on God’s kingdom, first
B. Then, you will get everything else
C. Note: Placing your focus on God’s Kingdom is not just about getting “stuff”
D. Placing your focus on God’s Kingdom is about doing what God desires
E. Two Questions:
1. What does God desire?
Matthew 6:10, 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is
2. How do we pursue it?
Matthew 11:12, 12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the
kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent
take it by force.
* (As the kingdom of God advances, so does the violence against it)
WHY DID JESUS COME?
A. Jesus came to save the world
B. Jesus came to set the world on fire
1. NKJV 49 “I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already
kindled (kindled = lit)
2. NLT 49 “I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already
DID JESUS COME TO BRING PEACE?
A. Jesus is the Prince of Peace
1. Isaiah 9:6, 6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the
government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be
called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting
Father, Prince of Peace.
2. Acts 10:36, 36 The word which God sent to the children of Israel,
preaching peace through Jesus Christ—He is Lord of all
3. Ephesians 2:14, 17, 14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both
one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off
and to those who were near.
B. Jesus is the Prince of Peace, Jesus is peace and Jesus preached peace
C. However, Jesus did not come to bring peace, He came to bring division