TITLE: DEALING WITH DISTRACTIONS
TEXT: MATTHEW 14:22-33
A. Distractions – Divert your attention away from the more important thing
B. The devil uses distractions – To divert our attention away from God [the more
important thing] to something else [less important] THEN, control the outcome
C. Distractions are designed to destroy our faith
D. Storms are distractions
A. The storm and sea did not change
1. V. 24 – “tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary”
2. V. 30 – “the wind was boisterous”
B. Jesus never commented on the wind and waves, he conquered it…
1. Matthew – No comment
2. John – No comment
3. Mark – “He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by”
C. Peter wanted to be like Jesus
1. Peter was being called to greater works / things
2. Only God can walk on water – Job 9:8
3. Jesus, “… and greater [works] than these will he do…” – John 14:12
4. “I am called to do greater things”
5. To do greater things, I need to exercise greater faith
6. The greater things I do for Jesus, and the greater faith I exercise in Jesus, I will experience the same distractions differently (Disciples in the ship vs. Peter on the water)
A. I MUST EXERCISE FAITH IN WHAT JESUS SAID
1. Jesus told the Disciples, “Go on ahead to the other side”
2. Am I exercising faith in what Jesus said?
a. Am I clear about what Jesus said?
b. Am I doing it
B. I MUST EXERCISE FAITH IN WHAT JESUS SEES
1. Jesus saw the destination beyond the distraction
2. Do I see the destination beyond the distraction?
a. Do I know what/where the destination is?
b. Am I focused on it?
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
THAT I WILL IN EXERCISE FAITH IN WHAT JESUS SAID, AND IN WHAT JESUS SEES