TEXT: LUKE 10:38-42
TITLE: DEALING WITH DISTRACTIONS
A. Distractions – Divert your attention away from the more important thing
B. The devil uses distractions – To divert our attention away from God [the more
important thing] to something else [less important] THEN, control the outcome
C. Jesus was in the house – speaking
D. Although Jesus was in the house – speaking, Martha was distracted
E. Distracted = To draw away
F. Today, although Jesus is in the house – speaking…
A. Jesus was in the house – speaking
B. Martha was distracted with much serving
1. Jesus was in the house – Martha was preparing a big dinner
2. Jesus was in the house – Martha had many things to do
C. Martha’s comments to Jesus
1. “Do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?”
2. “Tell her then to help me”
D. Sometimes, we can be distracted with serving Jesus…
1. Jesus is in the house – We are distracted by rituals
2. Jesus is in the house – We are distracted by traditions
3. We are so busy serving Jesus, that we are not listening to Jesus
a. Do we really know what He wants done?
b. Do we really know how He wants it done?
c. Do we really know who He wants involved with it?
A. Mary sat at Jesus’ feet
B. Mary listened to Jesus’ words
1. Listen = Attend to; consider what is or had been said; to understand
2. Listening to Jesus is active, not passive
C. To what degree am I sitting at Jesus’ feet – listening?
A To Martha:
1. “You are worried and troubled about many things.”
2. “But one thing is needed”
3. “Mary chose the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”
B. To us: How am I using my time, every day, to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to Him speak?
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK: THAT I WILL SIT AND LISTEN TO JESUS