SERMON TEXT: LUKE 7:36-50
SERMON TITLE: HOW MUCH DO I LOVE JESUS?
HOW MUCH DO I GIVE? (Pt. II)
A. Giving to Jesus assumes intimacy with Jesus
B. Practice of the kiss
1. In greeting – “Shalome” and a kiss
2. In parting – “Shalome” and a kiss
3. In showing respect – The lesser to the greater
4. Token of affection (family/friends)
C. Importance of the kiss
1. Jewish saying, “All kisses are foolish, excepting three; the kiss of grandeur or dignity, and the kiss at parting, and the kiss at meeting (to which some add the kiss of consanguinity)”
2. More than just putting your lips on someone
3. Sign of genuine affection
D. Application of the kiss
3. Holy kiss
a. Romans 16:16 – 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you.
b. I Corinthians 16:20 – 20 All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.
WHAT SIMON DID NOT DO… (verse 45)
A. Although Simon invited Jesus to his house to eat with him…
1. Why did Simon invite Jesus to his house to eat with him?
2. Was it about Jesus or him?
B. Simon did the least
1. It was customary to have given your guest a kiss of greeting
2. Simon did not give Jesus a kiss
C. What about me? Do I give Jesus the least? Why do I do What I do?
WHAT THE WOMAN DID DO… (verse 44)
A. First Note: Simon questions, “If Jesus were a prophet, He would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.” The beauty is, Jesus did know… Jesus permitted the woman to touch Him
1. She touched Jesus, being one of the untouchables
2. Jesus’ love for the woman was greater than her sins
B. The woman did the most
1. She entered into Simon’s house uninvited
2. She kissed Jesus’ feet
C. What about me? Do I give Jesus the most? Why do I do What I do?
1. What does the giving of my gifts and talents look like?